I used this gravy to serve on Easter with my 4# tenderloin of beef and it was very good!
Thank you, Mean Chef, for sharing!
4 TBSP. unsalted butter
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
¼ cup unbleached flour
21/2 cups vegetable stock, store-bought or home-made
¼ cup dry red wine
2 TBSP. Tamari soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until brown (about 7 minutes)
- Stir in the flour (it will become very pasty)
- Cook this roux for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Stir in the stock, red wine, soy sauce, and pepper. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cook the sauce at a lively simmer for 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly and scraping any crusty bits that adhere to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve in a sauceboat